Mac OS X Server Essentials is a four day Apple authorised course for Mac OS X helpdesk specialists, technical co-ordinators and system administrators who need the skills, tools and knowledge to implement and maintain a Mac OS X Server based system.
The course covers how to install and configure OS X Server to provide network-based services such as file sharing, authentication and printing.
You will also learn how to efficiently manage a group of Macintosh client workstations.
This course is designed for users of Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion). If you are using an earlier version of the Mac OS, please call or email.
Having completed this course, you can take the Mac OS X 10.7 Server Essentials exam at Media Training, when this is made available by Apple.
Pre-Course Requirements: You should have taken the Mac OS X Support Essentials (either 10.6 or 10.7) course at Media Training and have some experience of Mac OS X in a network environment.
• The certification process
Installing and configuring Mac OS X Server
• The new 10.7 simplified install process
• Initial configuration
• Server administration tools
• Troubleshooting installation issues
Authentication, authorisation and authorising accounts
• Using the new Profile Manager to administer accounts
• New Web-based remote administration
• Push notification
• Creating and administrating accounts
• Controlling access (ACLs)
• Using Open Directory
• Configuring Open Directory
• Single sign-on
• Backing up directory data
• Troubleshooting Open Directory
• Introduction to Kerberos
Using File Services
• Configuring and troubleshooting Apple File Service
• File Sharing for iPad
• Share points for Windows users
• Network mounts
• Using FTP
• Case sensitivity issues
Hosting Mail Services
• The new Mailserver 3
• Configuring, maintaining and troubleshooting email service
Managing Web Services
• Hosting multiple websites on a single Server
• Providing WebDAV access to files
Using Collaborative Services
• Using the new Wiki Server 3
• Setting up and configuring wikis and blogs
• Setting up iChat and iCal services to assist people working together
• Shared calendars
Implementing Deployment solutions
• Configuring and troubleshooting NetBoot/Network install to deploy Mac OS X 10.7