Learn the essential writing and research skills to become a professional feature writer.
Understand the preparation and workflow required to keep your editor happy.
SMALL COURSE SIZES | JOURNALISM EXPERTS | WRITING TRAINING | LONDON LOCATION
Feature Writing Intro | Training Course
• Defining characteristics of a feature story
• How to construct a feature
• Different feature formats: the Inverted Triangle vs the Diamond and other formats
Finding and researching good feature subjects
• How to turn good ideas into good features
• How to decide what features will work best
• How to research a feature
• Using the web and other published material and archives for new ideas
• Spotting ideas in other sources that were not intended to offer feature options
The essentials of good English
• Grammar and spelling
• Sentence and paragraph construction
• Feature writing styles
Secrets of structuring a feature
• How to get your feature off to the right start
• Organising elements in the most logical and interesting way
• Different structures and formats
• Finding a good ending for your feature
How to interview
• Preparing for an interview
• Deciding who to interview
• Ensuring you are well-briefed
Getting the right quotes
• Gaining your subject’s confidence
• Deciding when to use direct quotes
• When to convert information into reported speech
Writing for digital readers
• The differences between print and online reading habits
• Linking to and embedding multimedia content in your features
How to meet deadlines
• Setting realistic deadlines
• Tips and tricks on how to make feature editors happy
Questions and answers
|Online||£299 + VAT save £150|
|London Bridge||£349 + VAT save £100|
You Might Like These Too
What Do Our Learners Think About Our Courses?
Tom works in Internal Communications for an NHS service provider. Listen to his experience about attending our online Adobe Premiere Intro course.
Meija works for the MOD, in marketing and communications and here tells us about attending her online Social Media Marketing course with Alice.
Katie works for the Ministry of Defence as a Digital Content Editor and here tells us about attending her online Social Media Marketing course with Kirsty.
"Great teacher and great venue"