Designed for those who already have some experience of writing online copy, this course covers how to formulate a digital engagement strategy, how to develop an online voice for your brand and highlights advanced techniques for producing targeted, relevant copy.
The course also addresses how to structure your content to improve usability and search engine optimisation.
This course is editorial rather than technical in emphasis. If you want to tailor the content to your exact requirements, you are welcome to do so.
You should have attended our Introduction to Writing for the Web course or have an equivalent knowledge of the topics covered.
• How visitors read online and how they scan a page
• The role of web copy in an integrated online strategy
Listening and strategy
• Buzz monitoring, web analytics, sentiment analysis
• Understanding your audience
• Formulating a digital engagement strategy that works
• Commissioning and editing the right content for your readers
• How to work a brand tone of voice online
Tailoring content for mobile consumption
• How tablets and smartphones are refining web-writing strategies
• Giving your Style Guide a healthcheck
Techniques for writing online copy
• Techniques to produce targeted, relevant copy
• Creating engaging and useable heads, intros and instructions
• Making effective use of links
• Signposting your copy
• Self-contained copy units
• Evergreening copy
• Structuring content in creative ways that improve usability and boost SEO
• Re-purposing existing offline copy
• Practical examples of how to take existing offline copy and turn it into accessible online copy that works
• Monitoring your site for shovelware syndrome