Digital newsletters (or e-zines) are a powerful, cost effective way to communicate with your customers and potential customers and promote your company and products.
This one-day course will teach you to write well written, well targeted digital newsletters which promote your brand and are valued by your readers.
The course uses a combination of practical exercises and theory to help you build a dynamic editorial strategy and teach you to write articles and features for your e-zine that will engage your customers and promote your company.
No previous experience of writing digital newsletters is required.
• Why produce a digital newsletter?
• Becoming a publisher: the importance of a name, a brand and a strapline
• Engaging blends: how a successful editorial strategy works
Defining your digital newsletter
• Who are your audience?
• Who is going to read your digital newsletter?
• What will you promise your readers?
• How to create audience demand and expectations
• Creating an digital newsletter that's a useful practical resource
• Choosing the right tone and voice
• Determining the length and frequency of your newsletters
Before you start to write
• Building your editorial strategy: choosing topics and regular features
• Finding ideas for features
• Using bite-sized content to create editorial value
• Keeping the right balance between promotion, selling and useful editorial content
• Essential housekeeping elements: date, contents, subscriptions and contacts
Writing features and copy
• The ideal copy length for digital features
• How to use the main feature to reflect the expertise of your brand
• Writing different types of article: case studies, interviews, essential tips, and the classic how-to feature
• Writing short copy: the value of the inverted pyramid
• Using images to enhance feature content.
Promoting your company or brand within your newsletter
• Writing a company news story
• Using new, relevant and engaging stories to reinforce your message
• Finding the right angle to generate the greatest interest
• Linking articles to your website
• The pros and cons of referencing external sources.
Before you send
• Proofing digital newsletters
• Choosing the email subject line